Website United Airlines
This operational support position is designed to grow the candidate’s knowledge of United’s best practices, Digital Technology’s tools, processes and functions with oversite and mentoring from senior leaders in the Field Services organization. The role is responsible for managing all the logistics aspects of small to medium size projects that are complex, helps coordinate project plans, training, execution, ensures functionality and quality of solution, is involved in project’s Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Voice Over IP (VOIP), Closed Circuit Television (CCTV), mobility platforms and infrastructure activities that comply with United’s IT critical infrastructure standards. The role will include interfacing between Field Services and internal/external business partners.
The successful candidate must possess excellent organization and communication skills with a strong background in project management, strong understanding of telecommunications standards and practices, and excellent customer service skills. The candidate values cultural, ethnic, gender and other individual differences in people and creates an environment of learning, valuing, encouraging and supporting differences.
- Configure, install, maintain, test, and troubleshoot end user hardware and IT infrastructure systems
- Required to ensure the logistics of the project are coordinated.
- Ensure platforms/systems conform to established enterprise/industry standards (systems management, security, operating systems, etc.) and reference models
- Responsible to help coordinate the voice portion of projects.
- Understand technical/business requirements gathered from the business units
- Works closely with Engineering and IT Field Services Support Role.
- Provide technical support, as needed, to the enterprise
- Stays current with the advancements in IT technologies and project management skills.
- Consult with other business units (e.g. application groups, engineering, network, etc.) to configure platforms for product installation
- Assist Engineering in the research, evaluation, and recommendation of emerging technologies for enterprise use to consistently drive down total cost of ownership
- Document database requirements (Shares, Unimatic etc.) and ensure database is supplied in a timely fashion.
- Perform root cause analysis to quickly recover from service interruptions, and to prevent recurring problems
- Monitor, manage, and maintain IT infrastructure and end user equipment to ensure expected availability and performance levels are achieved
- Travel will be required along with after-hours work and weekends.
- Implement changes to platforms with minimal impact to the business by following enterprise standards and procedures
- Communication Skills- The ability to communicate verbally and in writing with all levels of employees and management, capable of successful formal and informal communication, speaks and writes clearly and understandably at the right level
- Technical Expertise – Involves demonstrating a commitment to increasing knowledge and skills in current technical/functional area, keeping up to date on technical developments, staying informed as to industry practices, knowing how to apply relevant technical processes to appropriate business needs.
- Integrity and Trust – Involves being widely trusted, being seen as a direct, truthful individual, can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, and doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
- Teamwork – Involves working well in a collaborative setting, supporting work team by volunteering for and completing assignments, acting as a positive team member by contributing to discussions, developing and maintaining both formal and informal relationships enterprise-wide, defines success in terms of the entire team through mentoring and knowledge transfer
- BS/BA, preferably in Information Technology or Business or equivalent experience, education, or training required. A completed apprenticeship, or journeyman certification, in Low Voltage Communications is preferred.
Qualification & Experience:
- Flexibility – Is open to change, enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, anticipates and adjusts to problems and roadblocks, is not thrown off when things change, can flex to future consequences and trends appropriately
- Associate’s degree or industry certification in an applicable IT field, in addition to two years applicable experience in the design/administration/ support of one or more platforms; or Bachelor’s degree in an IT field, in addition to one year applicable experience in the design/administration/ support of one or more platforms; or four years equivalent in depth experience in the above related areas
- An understanding of desktop/laptop/mobile-based technology, and utilizing network systems related to enterprise view
- The ideal candidate will have knowledge of multiple systems (operating/integration/end user/infrastructure) LAN room fiber and copper cabling standards (BICSI / EIA / TIA / NFPA/ NEC) and has related technical experience, as well as BICSI certification, is preferred but not essential.
- Dedication – Involves demonstrating a desire to dedicate time and energy to accomplish goals, tasks, assignments, etc. Will do what it takes to get things done
Company: United Airlines
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Engineering
Job Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Application Deadline: N/A