Website State Of Texas Jobs
Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The State Hospital System, under the HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and evidence-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan. Apply now to join our team.
- Performs CPR/Heimlich techniques and use of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) correctly and safely according to the specifications of the American Heart Association.
- Uses therapeutic communication skills in promptly and effectively engaging patients to assist them in meeting the objectives of their individual recovery plans. If working nights, maintains a quiet and restful environment to promote patient’s rest and sleep. If working in admissions, facilitates the admissions process by reassuring the patient as they are evaluated and provided with the required documentation.
- Assists in facilitating programming offered on unit or at the facility. Co-facilitates groups as assigned or requested and encourages patients to attend.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency’s obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
- Uses basic computer skills, documentation skills, and reporting procedures to communicate patient care information clearly and concisely in a timely manner.
- Assists the licensed nurse in preparing patients for medication administration or treatment. Includes taking and monitoring vital signs and performing other assigned tasks within competency level.
- Serves as a liaison to the recovery team or admissions team, providing on-going, verbal and written communication concerning patient’s progress or lack thereof, to individualized goals.
- Actively promotes safety through the continuous monitoring of the environment and active engagement of patients, to minimize unsafe situations and injuries.
- Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
- Responds effectively in crisis or psychiatric emergency situations, verbal de-escalation, and the application of Treatment Intervention Protection Strategies (TIPS), and other more restrictive interventions under the direct supervision of a RN to avert crisis situations and to ensure the health and safety of all patients. Communicates effectively with other team members to ensure a culture that promotes the least restrictive interventions necessary.
- Monitors patients as assigned and provides observation to ensure the health and safety of all persons. Escorts patient to appointments as required.
- Provides supportive, age specific care to patients as assigned by the Registered Nurse (RN) or designees(s) and assists with activities of daily living, hygiene, and eating to promote independence and self-care.
- Ability to work with others and accept supervision.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills.
- Ability to provide patient care, administer first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and to conduct TIPS.
- Knowledge of patient care techniques and of treatment, therapy, developmental, and patient centered recovery programs.
- Ability to read, write and understand English to effectively communicate and carry out verbal and written instructions.
Qualification & Experience:
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent.
- Experience in direct patient care work preferred.
Company: State Of Texas Jobs
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Waco, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A