Website State Of Texas Jobs
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) III serves as Unit Charge and is appointed by and responsible to the DSP Supervisor, subject to the approval of the Unit Director. The Charge is responsible to ensure that care, treatment, training, and support activities are completed in the assigned home, including supervising and monitoring the activities of other direct support staff. The charge may delegate portions of these responsibilities and sufficient authority for fulfillment but may not relinquish overall responsibility for results. In the absence of the Charge, the Assistant/Acting Charge will assume the job responsibilities. The Charge may be asked to assume the duties of the Direct Support Professional Supervisor in his/her absence. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position is required to drive a state-owned vehicle.
- Ensures the practice of appropriate Gentle Teaching techniques in all training and care activities in living and training environments.
- Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency’s obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
- Ensure efficient operation of the home through direct supervision of assigned staff and maintenance of daily documentation requirements
Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
- Ensure that the home is maintained and is a safe and sanitary living environment for individuals
- Serves as an active member of the interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary treatment team for unit/facility
- Ensures active and efficient care, training, and support for individuals s in home living environment
- Participates in the development of individuals’ treatment plans
- Assists in transporting of individuals going on scheduled activities and in emergency situations, as needed.
- Performs duties of the Management Supervisor when that staff member is absent
- Strength and flexibility to safely perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Safe Utilization of Restraints (SUR) techniques to restrain and prevent harm to that individual or others until the harmful/violent behavior subsides.
- Ability to be flexible in handling work assignments.
- Ability to make decisions and uses good judgment when dealing with critical incidents.
- Ability to provide individual care, to administer first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, to conduct Safe Utilization of Restraints (SUR), to communicate effectively, and to train others.
- Knowledge of individual care techniques and of treatment, therapy, and developmental programs.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in an emergency.
- Ability to work effectively with others and as a member of a team.
- Ability to demonstrate proper body mechanics, good posture, and proper lifting techniques.
- Ability to master basic techniques of individual care and training.
Qualification & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED is preferred.
- Certification in CPR, First Aid, or SUR is preferred.
- Experience in direct care working with individuals with mental health and/or developmental disabilities.
- Work experience with direct care and education may be substituted for one another.
Company: State Of Texas Jobs
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Harlingen, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A