Website State Of Texas Jobs
The Legal Secretary I is employed by the Court and performs complex and difficult legal tasks under the close supervision of the Chief Justice and Justices of the Court. Work involves researching, analyzing, and drafting routine and complex appellate documents and assisting the appellate judiciary with successful case management. This work is performed with considerable latitude for independent judgment and initiative concerning priorities, methods, and legal procedures to accomplish assigned duties and to select proper courses of action.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Accepts appellate documents for filing.
- Prepares appellate judgments and orders.
- Maintains annual compilation of appellate decisions.
- May review correspondence.
- Assembles exhibits, affidavits, and other documents included in the appellate record for forwarding to the Texas Supreme Court and Court of
- Criminal Appeals for review on petition for discretionary review or petition for review, including preparation of certified documents and preparation of transcript of minute book proceedings in the appellate court.
- Forwards published opinions to national legal publishers for inclusion in the national reporter system and releases published opinions to legal publishers for publication.
- Checks quotations, footnotes, and references for accuracy, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Familiarity and/or checking legal citations helpful.
- Prepares mandates for issuance to lower courts for enforcement of appellate decisions.
- Reviews for correctness pre-publication documents for national legal publishers.
submission if necessary).
- Prioritizes case files and updates pending case list for assigned judge.
- Maintains case management system for post-submission appellate documents (and pre-
- Maintains index of memoranda, draft, and/or proposed opinions for utilization by judiciary in conference or presentation of appellate argument.
- Occasionally, researches and analyzes sources such as statutes, administrative records, judicial decisions, evidence, articles, depositions, treaties, legal codes, land titles, and abstracts and regulations for inclusion in appellate opinions.
- Working knowledge of legal terminology, research methods and techniques
- Working knowledge of the preparation and use of appellate documents, or administrative and court procedures of relevant laws and of appellate practices and procedures.
- Strong grammar and proofreading skills, and a great attention to detail.
- Ability to follow instructions and coordinate work; to quickly evaluate findings and relate them to the case in question.
- Must possess skill in the use of office equipment, including computers, copiers, and scanners.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, WestlawNext, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat is preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all legal matters is essential.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience in legal assistance/paralegal work or as an legal/appellate secretary is a plus.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in law or related field will be considered.
- Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
Company: State Of Texas Jobs
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Antonio, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A