Starship Avionics Build Engineer is responsible for producing an avionics system minimizing vehicle cost/mass and providing electrical sensing, actuation, and control for flying the vehicle. Avionics includes RF communication, navigation sensors, electrical actuators, video systems, propulsion sensors, and energy storage.
This build role collaborates within a team shared with mechanical engineers designing integration solutions for avionics components and systems engineers designing electrical system and vehicle operations. Team mission is to develop highly producible mechanical designs and packaging solutions that protect electronics from the harsh mechanical and thermal environments of launch vehicle operations.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts of established production lines and products
- Produce work instructions for technicians integrating avionics components onto vehicle
- Act as primary point of contact for avionics engineering on non-conforming product, troubleshooting, root cause, failure investigations and corrective actions
- Provide end-to-end ownership of high-rate avionics production line design, bring-up, operations, and improvements
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Responsible for avionics part manufacturability and introduction into high-rate manufacturing environment
- Perform hands-on design for manufacturability engineering as part of the product development cycle and act as primary liaison between the design and production teams
- Update designs when necessary in response to manufacturing issues, parts obsolescence, and system requirement changes
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacturability, design for testability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, quality control, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced iterative design environment
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environment within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries.
- Demonstrated experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment
- Experience implementing design for manufacture and design for test
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software such as: NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering
- 1+ years of experience in design, manufacturing, and/or production of mechanical or electrical h
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Dallas, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A